Local Government Association (LGA) Boards engage with and develop a thorough understanding of councils' priorities in relation to their particular programme area. They also help shape our business plan and, through extensive engagement with councils, oversee programmes of work that deliver the strategic priorities set by the Executive Advisory Board.
The Board will provide strategic oversight of all the LGA’s policy and improvement activity in relation to libraries, the visitor economy, sport and physical activity, the arts, museums, public parks, and heritage, in line with wider LGA priorities.
The Culture, Tourism and Sport Board has the following objectives:
· Champion the role that cultural, sporting, tourism and heritage services play in making places where people want to live, visit and work.
· Support portfolio holders and officers to lead transformational change of cultural, tourism and sport services and seize the opportunities presented by wider public sector reform, including devolution and the government’s Industrial Strategy.
· Ensure that the LGA is well positioned to advance our arguments on culture, tourism and sport nationally to government and others and that our advocacy is shaped by robust intelligence from councils. In particular, steering the LGA / DCMS Libraries Taskforce, supporting the implementation of Sport England’s new strategy, and ensuring English destinations have a strong voice in the national governance arrangements for tourism.
· Support other LGA Boards to recognise how culture, tourism and sport helps to achieve their priorities
· Contribute to wider LGA work any risks or opportunities that may arise for the culture, tourism and sport sectors from leaving the European Union and act on them as required.
· Ensure that the flagship Annual Culture, Tourism and Sport Conference continues to give national profile to the innovation that councils are leading and influences national policy and debate through giving a platform to leading people from the sector.
For information on the latest activities of the Board, you can view the Chair’s regular reports to Councillors' Forum.
The membership detailed below has been appointed effective from 1 September 2020 through to the end of the 2020/21 meeting cycle on 31 July 2021.
Support officer: Thomas French. 020 7664 3041 / Email: firstname.lastname@example.org