Representing: Shropshire Council
Party: Liberal Democrat
Political grouping: Liberal Democrat
· Shadow spokesman for planning, infrastructure, flooding and housing on Shropshire Council and have chaired a number of Task and finish groups
· Heather was first elected in December 1996 to South Shropshire District Council. She became Joint Leader in 2001 and Leader in 2003. Her special responsibility was rural affordable housing and she was a co-author of SSDC's rural housing policy. Much of this has been used today in Shropshire Councils present day housing policy.
· Heather was then elected to Shropshire (unitary) Council to a sparsely populated very rural Division in 2009 and re-elected in 2013 and 2017. Former Scrutiny Chair of Adult Social Care. Member of Health and Adult Social Care Scrutiny, and the Joint Overview Health Scrutiny for Shropshire and Telford and Wrekin.
· Rural policy issues have also been an interest to me over the years and brought those issues to the Economy and Transport Board for several years until its demise. I believe that rural housing could and should be a driver for the rural economy, help save Council services money and keep rural communities sustainable. She is now the lead Liberal Democrat on the People & Places Board.
· Heather was born in West Sussex and has lived in Shropshire for 30 years. She is married with 4 daughters and 2 grandsons. They have chosen to live in the rural border Country of Shropshire with Wales working in the NHS, Planning and local Primary Schools. Heather was a Science teacher in Shropshire, Camden and West Sussex and also worked part time for William Powell, Assembly Member for Mid & West Wales, as a caseworker where I saw many of the issues on the ground that we deal with on the People and Places Board.
· She is an LGA Peer Mentor.