Title: Leader of the Council
Political grouping: Labour
Prior to the 2017 elections Alan served a 4 year term as Leader of Nottinghamshire County Council. Following the 2017 elections Alan was elected Leader of the Labour Group, the main opposition party at Nottinghamshire County Council.
Alan was elected to Nottinghamshire County Council in 2005 representing the Worksop North East & Carlton Division (now Worksop North following boundary changes)
He has held the positions of Cabinet Member for Adult Social Care, Leader of the Opposition and Leader of the Council.
Alan also serves on the following bodies:-
· Local Government Association where he serves on the Safer & Stronger Communities Board.
· Alan is the LGA Lead on Modern Slavery
· County Councils’ Network (CCN) where he is Deputy Leader of the Labour Group
· East Midlands Councils.
· The Crossing Social Enterprise Company (SEC) serving as a non-exec Director.
· A School Governor at Kingston Park Academy, Carlton in Lindrick.
Alan is an approved LGA Peer Member.
In addition to serving on Nottinghamshire County Council since 2005, Alan has been an elected Member of Bassetlaw District Council, representing Worksop North West Ward since 1986.
Born, raised and educated in Rotherham South Yorkshire, Alan is married to Shirley and they have three grown up children and four grandchildren.