The role of the Fire Services Management Committee (FSMC) is to represent as an LGA body the views and concerns of the fire community ensuring that local circumstances have a voice in the national context. FSMC will take the lead on behalf of the LGA: on the future direction of the fire and rescue service; improvement within the sector; and on all other day-to-day issues (e.g. technical or operational matters) affecting fire authorities.
· Advise and assist fire and rescue authorities around increased accountability and transparency in the governance of the fire and rescue service including helping them prepare for the new inspection regime and influencing the development of a new standards body.
· Support the continuing development of the fire and rescue service by helping authorities to increase the flexibility and diversity of the workforce and make the best use of on-call roles.
· Contribute to the LGA’s work to improve fire safety following the fire at Grenfell Tower.
· Work to transform service delivery, including greater collaboration across blue-light services, and support the National Fire Chiefs Council programme to improve procurement practices.
· Make the case for risk-based funding of the fire and rescue service
The membership detailed below has been appointed effective from 1 September 2020 through to the end of the 2020/21 meeting cycle on 31 July 2021.
Support officer: Jonathan Bryant. Email: Jonathan.Bryant@local.gov.uk - 07464652746
Local Government House