Local Government Association (LGA) Boards engage with and develop a thorough understanding of councils' priorities in relation to their particular programme area. They also help shape our business plan and, through extensive engagement with councils, oversee programmes of work that deliver the strategic priorities set by the Executive Advisory Board.
The Safer and Stronger Communities Board has responsibility for Local Government Association (LGA) activity in the promotion of the health and safety of local communities. This includes issues of crime and anti-social behaviour, police governance and accountability, community safety, public protection; the fire service and emergency planning, and licensing and other regulatory activities.
· Support councils to prevent violent extremism, tackle radicalisation and build community cohesion, and influence the review of the counter-terrorism strategy.
· Support councils to improve community safety in their areas by helping them address violent crime, domestic abuse, female genital mutilation, modern slavery and anti-social behaviour, as well as helping local authorities improve water safety and build stronger relations with the probation service.
· Work with local blue light services, including ongoing work to shape the role of the 21st century firefighter, support fire and rescue authorities around the fire reform agenda, continue to support police and crime panels in their scrutiny of Police and Crime Commissioners, and support the LGA’s response to the Grenfell Tower fire.
· Lead a calls for reform and modernisations of the licensing system and support councils to create sustainable public protection services that help stimulate local growth.
· Assist councils in the development of crematoria, coroners and medical examiner services.
For information on the latest activities of the Board, you can view the Chair’s regular reports to Councillors' Forum.
The membership detailed below has been appointed effective from 1 September 2020 through to the end of the 2020/21 meeting cycle on 31 July 2021.
Support officer: Tahmina Akther. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | 0207 072 7444
Local Government House
Phone: 0207 072 7444